I’m super excited to announce that I am now part the of the PCOSAA blogging team! PCOSAA is a non-profit organization that provides support, resources, and community for those dealing with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) both directly and indirectly.
Some symptoms of PCOS include (but are not limited too):
- Infertility (not able to get pregnant) because of not ovulating. In fact, PCOS is the most common cause of female infertility.
- Infrequent, absent, and/or irregular menstrual periods
- Hirsutism (HER-suh-tiz-um) — increased hair growth on the face, chest, stomach, back, thumbs, or toes
- Cysts on the ovaries
- Acne, oily skin, or dandruff
- Weight gain or obesity, usually with extra weight around the waist
- Male-pattern baldness or thinning hair
- Patches of skin on the neck, arms, breasts, or thighs that are thick and dark brown or black
- Skin tags — excess flaps of skin in the armpits or neck area
- Pelvic pain
- Anxiety or depression
- Sleep apnea — when breathing stops for short periods of time while asleep
PCOSAA’s goals are to provide the public with more information regarding the severity of PCOS, get more women tested, to help fund research for PCOS, connect specialists and those dealing with PCOS, and to build support in the context of community with other women diagnosed with PCOS.